How Much Breast Asymmetry Is Normal?
Posted on: April 28th, 2017
By: The Office of North Shore Aesthetics
Breast asymmetry is far more common than most people realize. In fact, it is believed that virtually all women have some degree of breast asymmetry. For many women, this asymmetry is so slight that it is barely noticeable, or it may not be noticeable at all. Others are not so fortunate, and their pronounced breast asymmetry affects them physically and/or emotionally. If your breast asymmetry bothers you, breast surgery can help you achieve a more balanced and natural-looking bust line.
When to Consider Surgery
Breast asymmetry is usually a difference in size or volume. If there is only a slight difference, this may be unnoticeable most or all of the time. However, some women’s breasts can differ in size by more than a cup and may be noticeable even to strangers. Additionally, some women’s breasts may differ in shape or may go through changes during pregnancy, nursing, and aging that lead to asymmetry. For example, aging breasts may sag at different rates, leading to one sagging noticeably lower than the other. In some cases, asymmetry can be attributed to breast augmentation. If a plastic surgeon does not account for natural asymmetry, it can become more pronounced after inserting breast implants. Surgical complications that may arise after breast augmentation can cause noticeable aesthetic changes to one breast only. No matter the cause, if the differences between your breasts are distressing to you, consider scheduling a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your options for achieving a more even breast appearance.
Your Surgical Options
Breast asymmetry can be corrected through breast surgery. There are several surgical approaches that can help you achieve breast symmetry:
- Breast Augmentation: Dr. Schlechter can insert an implant into the smaller breast or differently sized implants into both breasts to balance them out. This approach will increase the size of the breasts and can also improve their shape.
- Breast Augmentation With Fat Transfer: Dr. Schlechter can extract excess fat from an area of the body and inject it into the smaller breast to boost its size. This approach can be successful for those with minor asymmetry (i.e., less than one cup size difference), but it is more difficult to rely on as a correction for breast asymmetry because the amount of fat that will successfully graft into the breast tissue is variable.
- Breast Lift: Dr. Schlechter can perform a breast lift to reshape and reposition the breasts so that they appear youthful and balanced. This approach is best for women whose breasts are sagging, especially if their sagging is uneven.
- Breast Reduction: Dr. Schlechter can surgically remove excess breast tissue to reduce the size of just the larger breast or both breasts. This approach is best for women whose overly large breasts cause them emotional or physical discomfort.
- Breast Revision: Dr. Schlechter can perform breast revision to correct asymmetry caused by surgical complications from breast augmentation, such as implant deflation or capsular contracture. This approach improves the condition of the breasts and balances out their appearance.
Breast surgery can correct breast asymmetry and help women achieve a more natural, even, and aesthetically pleasing breast appearance. To learn more about your options, schedule your personal consultation with our experienced and board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Benjamin Schlechter. Please call (847) 737-5036 or contact us online to request your appointment today.